A friend of ours recently gave birth to her second son. Because she already had all the baby stuff from her first son, I just asked her what DIY gift I could make. Turned out a mobile for Maxi Cosi would be useful and I got inspired by this white cloud mobile posted by the “Do Small Things with love” blog. Continue reading
This baby mobile was made to go with the colour block quilt we posted earlier this month.
From our experience, babies are more interested in mobiles that contain a combination of bold shapes and colours. Therefore we choose an easy star shape and decided to work with contrasting colours on each shape that are also used in the blanket. This way the quilt and mobile match well together and the baby is stimulated by the mobile (which benefits the parents as well). Continue reading
February is carnaval month and it was time to make my little girls fist costume. There are many easy DIY costumes for babies but most are only cute on kids that can already walk. I needed one for a baby that can only sit and since she will be wearing it to baby school, it needs to be comfortable enough to wear all day. Continue reading
Last week I made some new cushion covers for my cushions in the couch. I used a yellow fabric I once picked up in a sale (designer unknown) and a black pattern fabric from Robert Kaufman. Continue reading
A few weeks ago, ok let’s be honest here we’re talking months, my mum bought “Allemaal rokjes” by Madame ZsaZsa as a little gift for both me and Annelies. For those of you that haven’t heard of this one yet, it’s a little gem full of skirts to make for yourself, your friends, or some of the little lovely ladies in your life. I love the art direction of the book, it’s fun and colourful and makes you want to dive straight in and get going on that first project.
Which is exactly what I did, even though it took my a few months! The delay was mostly due to choosing a fabric to be honest. Crafting fabric is pretty straight forward if you consider it: quilting weight cottons, home dec weight cottons and felt are basically all you need for a huge variety of projects, but when it came to dressmaking I was a bit lost. In the end I decided there’s a limit to the amount of new techniques I can successfully handle in any project without messing up completely, so considering this was my first attempt at dressmaking I decided to stick with quilting cotton.
The next challenge was choosing a print: I didn’t want to make the same mistake as when I made myself a bag, and chose a busy print, which clashes with about every piece of clothing I own resulting in the bag never getting used. In the end I went for Lucie Summers – Summersville – Check Weave in Black : http://www.seamstar.co.uk/fabrics-search-designercollection-lucie-summers-summersville-c-21_33_825_827.html which shouldn’t be too difficult to match with some of the tops I have, while it’s still a fun print.
Now with fabric sorted the only thing left was too make it. All in all it went quite well, the pattern was very clear, instructions relatively easy to follow and except for a few hickups (zipper way too short resulting in me having to put on the skirt over my head for example), I think the end result is pretty good:
Just a few things I’d change next time: maybe try a different type of fabric: the fabric I used seems to crease really easily, so the back of my skirt will look all crumpled when I’ve been sitting down. I think I need to go a bit bolder on the print, maybe not a busy pattern, but a bright colour would definetly be a good idea. Madame Zsazsa’s book is full of great fabrics, she writes on her blog that she gets some of those in the Netherlands, on markets (http://madamezsazsa.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/allemaal-rokjes-probleem-1-2.html) So might have to give that a try!
In any case, I think this was a success, thanks Mme Zsazsa!
We all have our favourite sweater we do not get rid off even if it shows some serious signs of wear and tear. Well one of my friends had this problem with his blue cardigan. Both sleeves have rather large wholes at the elbows. He already purchased some ready made elbow patches but didn’t like any of them to match his sweater. So I offered to pimp his elbow patches. Continue reading
As mentioned in one my previous posts (Fabric feature – Pezzy by American Jane) I have some projects to share that I made for gorgeous little Lilly, featuring the fabric form my last post: Pezzy by American Jane at Moda.
I’ve made two projects using this fabric. The one which I’ll share today is a little cot quilt inspired by a tutorial over at sew mama sew: http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/2010/10/october-11-crayon-box-quilt-tutorial-winter-peach-giveaway/
I loved this pattern from the moment I saw it, nice and easy for my inexperienced quilting hands, but also simply beautiful with the rhythmic triangle pattern. I enjoyed the process of making it and putting it altogether, and I spent a bit more time actually quilting this one than I did the last (Baby quilt), not too bad for my second quilt. Maybe on the next one I’ll venture into hand quilting!
Here’s some pictures for the work in progress and one more of the finished thing, hope you love the end results as much as I do!